Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Seed Bead Cautions

I thought I’d take a moment for this week’s blog to talk about things to consider about seed beads.  First and foremost,  I LOVE ‘EM!  But some seed beads I avoid all together, and others I’m very careful about.  Seed beads are created from glass, but the colors that are available just can’t satisfy the appetites for all beaders… so manufacturers of seed beads “do things” to the glass to expand the colors and appearances of the beads.  This includes:

  • Treating with dye to create a color.
  • Applying a lining inside the hole.  This not only increases the available colors, but also creates a unique appearance.
  • Coating the seed bead, either with a color or a metal.
What should occur to you is that this can create a danger when using these beads.  Coatings can wear off, dyes can fade, linings can wear off.   All of these things are true.  So, what can you do to protect your wonderful creations from downside risks?

First, KNOW what you are buying and using.  Some vendors very clearly label all their seed beads and note that there is a dye or coating.  The easiest ones to identify are the “lined” beads, they typically say “color lined” or “silver lined”.  There are many different metal coatings including “galvanized” or the new “dura coat”.  If you are unsure…. ASK!    Once you’ve determined that the beads are in any of these categories, be sure to keep that information with the beads if you decide to purchase them.

My advice:
Silver lined beads:  I avoid these altogether.  Yes, it really is silver that is used inside the hole.  Silver will tarnish.  I have pieces that I made years ago and were a bright shiny color at the time…. They are black beads now.  There is no way to clean inside those holes.  I did experiment however…. I took one and let it sit in a bath of pure bleach for 15 minutes.  This dissolved the silver, so it is just glass now.  I rinsed it REALLY well and let soak in clean water for an hour too.  I did this 2 years ago and the thread (I used Nymo) has held up to the bleach assault…. Crossing my fingers. 
If you use silver lined beads, be sure to store the beadwork in an air-tight container, and it’s best to include an anti-tarnish strip.  You may notice that you have some silver lined beads you bought years ago and still haven’t used and they are still beautiful… hey! They are in a sealed container!  Trust me, they will tarnish if you take them out of that container.
I took all silver lined beads in my stash and segregated them (why didn’t I just throw them away? Hmm can it be I’m obsessed with beads? ).  I have used them for a beaded snowflake pattern… because the final step in this project is to dip it into floor wax to stiffen the piece, this also seals the silver away from air.  I’m pleased to report that after 5 years they remain shiny and the floor wax shows no yellowing.  Other than this use, I avoid these beads like the plague (and the bugles are worse and tarnish faster). I don’t buy any more, and will only use in a circumstance like this.
Tip:  There is a new bead that mixes silver with glass and then coats the hole.  The description I’ve seen is a “shimmer” bead.  I have used these very successfully.  The appearance is not quite as glowing as a silver lined, but it’s close and it’s not dangerous.

Color lined beads:  Gosh, the variety of colors and appearance of these beads is sooo intriguing.  However, the thread or stringing material used with these beads can rub off the color inside.  So, I am careful about how I use these beads.  I love using these on the surface of bead embroidery but do not use in the necklace strand and am even cautious about using in fringe. 

Coatings:  Anyone who has been beading for a while has experienced a trauma with these beads (or know another beader who has).  Sometimes, the coating will even rub off in your hands as you are beading… you haven’t even finished it and it’s ruined.  Be careful using these beads.  Again, like color lined beads, be aware of where you are using them and what stresses they will be subjected to.  So, some parts of surface beadwork in bead embroidery will not create a problem, but obviously a peyote  bracelet using these beads will be a disaster.  And, it should be equally obvious, if it is coated with silver, well… it will tarnish (see above discussion of silver lined beads)
One exception:  There are new beads from Japan that are coated with metal and then coated with a protective coating over that!  That outer coating will prevent the silver from tarnishing.  The outer coating also protects the metal coating.  So, you can use these in areas that won’t have excessive rubbing that would rub off that coating.  Or, just know that the lifespan of the beadwork will be longer than without the coating but still limited.  (and they come in 15/0 too!)  I love using these with bead embroidery.

Dyed beads:  It would be great to be able to avoid these beads, but the result is that you simply will be limiting your color palette.  Dark Fuchsia?  It is dyed.   If the dye is coming off in your hands as you bead, you probably should stop and throw them away.  Typically this doesn’t happen though.  It is often as simple as adjusting your care and maintenance of the beadwork to avoid direct sunlight and store in a dark place (like your jewelry box which is not exactly a hardship).  But these pieces should not be stored on a wall, constantly exposed to light.  And of course, don’t leave them on the dashboard of your car….


Summing it up:
Know what you are buying.  Make a conscious decision about the use of these beads and Use Your Common Sense!

7 comments:

  1. Hi Jamie,
    So glad to see you have a blog. So glad to have found it.
    I was reading something about metal beads and thought, "I wonder what Jamie thinks about metal beads." I Googled and found this post. What great timing.
    I'm new to bead embroidery and have learned much from my copy of "Dimensional Bead Embroidery." I love how warm the copper and gold seed beads make your work and have tried to include such in my beginning work. But now I wondered -- are you using metal, gold, copper or glass with coatings in most of your work?
    I'm adding your blog to my blogroll and will be back to read more. Just love your work. Inspiring. Best, Judy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favorite "metal" bead is a glass that looks metallic, those can be used with much less worry. I have tried the new dura-coat beads and I do like them. A glass with a luster finish appears metallic.. so I can use them in all areas. Otherwise, I do use coated on surface embroidery, and I don't worry about it.. there just isn't much wear or rubbing.
      Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the great details, i have bookmarked your blog for the future upcoming post.
    glass beads manufacturers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jamie, I know this is an older post but hopefully you still check it periodically.
    I found your page after Googling "how to clean silver lined seed beads", LOL. I actually don't have much already made with silver lined seed beads (for the reasons you mention) but have a big enough stash of unused ones (still untarnished) that I was trying to be proactive. I don't particularly like the look of them (some of them I inherited and some were from when I first started making jewelry and didn't know any better), but I hate wasting supplies. I'm wondering if it would be worth the time and effort to soak the unused ones in bleach to get rid of the silver lining before using them in anything. Would they just look transparent then? That would be great if they did since I use a lot of transparent beads in what I make. Mostly what I have are the 6/0s but I have about 5 gms of 11/0s too. I'd love to be able to use them in a different way. What are your thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just made a fabulous bracelet of metallic-coated #11, in a tight peyote. Water and salt (as in wearing it) made it turn a dingy gray. Is there any way to fix that? Or to prevent it? Is there a silver covered glass bead that won't tarnish?

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Miyuki bright sterling silver plated seed beads were tarnishing as I beaded them! I thought it was just the light (a very dull day) but 3/4 of the way through beading my bracelet, I stopped as I realised it was the silver tarnishing. Heavens AND they are not cheap. My silver cleaning gloves didn't make one iota of difference. How disappointing. And they still look so bright & sparkly in their container.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do all silver lined and coated beads use real silver? I was looking at the ones from hobby lobby by bead treasures.a big tube is like $7 and say mat silver coated glass.ive used them for years but store the finished project in bags and haven't tarnished. Im asking because I use natural stones with them and am charging $15-$20 a bracelet and sometimes people ask if they are real silver,I reply honestly and say silver coated glass but I would like to know if it is actual fine silver sterling or just like silver colored paint? I've emailed hobby lobby shocker no response yet .

    ReplyDelete