Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Beading Books and Beyond....



What are you looking for when you buy a beading book?   I know that some people are just interested in projects, while others are looking for a deeper understanding of a stitch or technique.   But, beyond all that, how do you relate to a beading book?   For me, I love beading.  And I love beaders.  Bead books give me so many things and I’ll try to explain it…..

I saw a post a while ago where the person was asking beaders whether they preferred classes that were complicated projects (a project class) or one that concentrated more on teaching about a technique.  The comments showed the diversity you would expect in a group of people… some wanted a project, some a technique,  and others combined the two such that it was technique oriented but the Project was a direct application so they wanted both.   But there was one comment where the person simply said (and proudly proclaimed) they have never taken a class or bought a book.     wow….   This stopped me.

I’ve thought a lot about this response and my reaction is that I feel very sorry for this person.  It may stroke the ego to easily claim that you got where you are solely on your own.  But I think of the cost of this.  I love my craft, and there is no possible way on earth that any one person can have all the ideas out there.  The adoration of isolation in this comment is stunning to me (ok, this was online so let me also add it is delusional in the sense they are seeing pictures of what other people have done and let’s not pretend we are not influenced by our environment).   Anyway, back to my point.  

I love spending time with other beaders!   My gosh, what a wonderful group of people!  (ok, so there are some haters but those are minimal).  Spending time with beautiful, creative people who love to share and have an obsession that I can relate to (collecting beads…) is soooo fun.  When I get a beading book by someone I’ve never met, it is like I have a new friend.  Nice to meet you.  And thank you for sharing your passion, abilities and creativity!  You get an insight into someone you will probably never meet in the flesh but they are available to spend time with you, inspire you, inform you and entertain you anytime you want.  Bad Day?  Pick up a beading book, dive in and live in That world for a while with the friend-you-never-met who wrote the book.  

I recently got a new book.  In terms of techniques, there was nothing new for me.  And it was annoying that it instructed to do things in ways that I totally disagree with and in fact have instructed to NOT DO THAT in my books and classes.  I’ve never done a project, but I read projects.  I am educated by them in terms of “how” that person approached and constructed, what was done first, next, etc.  It is irrelevant that I won’t do That project, the teaching within the project is what I am looking for.   But beyond all that….. I have a new friend!  So what if I don’t agree with everything my new friend has said, that’s ok, happens all the time in life.   And it challenges me.  I don’t agree?  Makes me think about it and challenges me to not only have a position about something, but be able to support the “why” I have that position, helps me to clarify things for myself.  

In all honesty, I have many rationalizations to buy bead books.  I love them (and I’m worth it!).  I love to be informed (knowledge is power!).  I love to see what other beaders are reading (as an author myself, I need to see what my readers may see). 

And I love having a new friend!

No comments:

Post a Comment