Monday, October 7, 2013

Design versus Style



Often these words are used interchangeably but that is not really correct, they are actually very different.

Design is:
“The elements and principles of design are the building blocks used to create a work of art. The elements of design can be thought of as the things that make up a painting, drawing, design etc. Good or bad - all paintings will contain most of if not all, the seven elements of design. The Principles of design can be thought of as what we do to the elements of design. How we apply the Principles of design determines how successful we are in creating a work of art.” As quoted from http://www.johnlovett.com.

The important point here is that this is more like a science with rules and concepts. You can learn about design by searching the internet, taking college or other courses in school. And, specifically for jewelry and beading, Margie Deeb has great books Beaders Guide to Color and The Beaders Color Palette that go in depth about one of the principles of design: color. So, just to tease you, I understand from Margie that she has a new book coming out next year about the other concepts in design specifically as they relate to jewelry! (me, I can hardly wait….)

Style is completely different. Style is more about emotion and personality. Examples work best here…. Masters of Style in bead embroidery include Sherry Serafini and Heidi Kummli and I doubt any would disagree. When you see a piece done by either of these two masters, you instantly recognize their creations. Their respective books (Sherry Serafini’s Sensational Bead Embroidery and Heidi Kummli's The Spirit of Bead Embroidery) and their joint endeavor (The Art of Bead Embroidery) show you how to duplicate their styles. But what I find more elevating is how they encourage you to use that as a starting point and grow on your own, develop your own style.

There are many styles – Victorian, grunge, western, contemporary, conservative, many different ethnics, ad infinitum…. Pure versions of any of these are usually easily recognizable. And of course there are blends. What is your style? How would you describe your wardrobe? Crafting a style that is all you and recognizable instantly is an art and often more difficult than you think. Human nature leads us to duplicate what we see, especially when learning. This is easiest to see in the master painters or potters and their students. The students work looks like the master until as time goes by, they develop their own unique twists and attributes. That is the goal, to become a master on their own.

So, I claim I don’t have a recognizable style. Friends have argued with me about this and claim they always can recognize my work. So here are some pieces out in the web world.


My contention is if you think the same person did those, then that person has multiple-personality-syndrome or is schizophrenic. Then they claim that there is a perfection of execution that is recognizable. Ok, flatter me and I’ll relent! But I still say there isn’t one “style”, I’m all over the place and this is on purpose. I’ve tried to spread the joy of the craft of bead embroidery and I want to talk to everyone, no matter their personal taste, and so I’ll channel someone else and do a design from their point of view. I’m trying to make it easier for students to find their own voice by muting mine.

So… why is this on my mind? You may know I have a new book Bead Embroidery Jewelry Projects – Design and Construction, Ideas and Inspiration that has just been released. Each project/project variation was selected to teach/instruct about a principle of design or methodology in construction. Honestly, I don’t meet many bead embroidery people who want to exactly duplicate a project by someone else; rather they want to put their own spin, colors, focal selection, etc. in the design. So, the projects are made also as easy springboards for you to do just that. If you want to duplicate a project to concentrate on your technique then the instructions are there for you to do just that.

And, key to this is what I say in Exercise 2 on page 11… “Spend time looking at designs you don’t like….. What exactly is wrong…. … What changes would you make that could turn the necklace into one that you liked?” This will help you enormously to develop your own style. Maybe the point here is to pick the project you like least! That may help you grow the most.

I’ve seen negative reviews on this book, Sherry’s book and Heidi’s book and it is almost funny. They say they don’t like the projects. If you want to duplicate projects, then you should look at a book first to see if there are projects you want to duplicate. Isn’t that just common sense and true of any bead book? That isn’t the fault of the book, it’s your fault. Now, if the instructions and advice had errors, then that is the books fault but none of that is alleged in the reviews.

But if you want, instead, to learn processes, design concepts, and meanings from generous artists to help you grow as an artist and craftsperson, then just get these books and Absorb the wonderful information.

5 comments:

  1. Jamie,

    Despite the negative reviews from any person who obviously doesn't have anything to do but crab, I just added your Bead Embroidery Jewelry Projects to my library. (along with your other books) Negative reviews are constructive criticism but saying something just to be negative is a whole different ball game. While I'm new to the Bead Embroidery medium, (but not new to beading) I know a star when I see one. I just returned from The Colorado Bead Retreat and am inspired and ready to begin my bead embroidery adventure. I agree with the style versus design concept and I plan on putting a lot of passion in mine, but what may be passionate to me may not appeal to others. But I don't care, if they don't like it too bad. I'm up over the hill and on my way down and if you don't mind, it doesn't matter what anyone thinks. You are awesome and thank you for your time and efforts in paving the way for people like me. I'm absorbing away.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love ya Just Beady Jules! You show the wisdom that typically comes with experience. And, can I just say, I am soooo jealous about the Colorado Bead Retreat... saw many pics on Facebook and wish I could've been there!

      Delete
  2. Really had a great time Jamie. There was so much electricity in the air it was exhilarating. Being the only Texas girl there, I felt right at home. There will be more pics....just check out my page in a few days...I still have pics in my camera, iPad and iPhone...LOL...

    I just received your book, thumbed through it and I see only inspiration and design challenges (for me...LOL)....Good luck, I hope you sell a million of them. Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jamie - thank you for a wonderful article. I share the same sentiment when it comes to Design & Style...have done for decades.
    With regards to the negative reviews - if they aren't *constructive* but merely a snipe..then hmmm!. . Personally I feel people who *snipe* do so because they are either punching way too high when it comes to doing projects - and because of a lack of skills and knowledge think they feel they are *justified* in being *unfavourable* in a review.
    This is an argument I've had many times on various forums etc trying to get folk to see that if a project is listed as Advanced and they say they wish to do it and are only *new* to the medium - then they could have serious problems and if they don't succeed - that is not the fault of the Instructor.. Nor is it up to the Instructor to be forever holding their hand because they have picked a project way outside their skill level.
    Very good points too on getting people to look at things they don't like and analysing them to see what would work better etc. In a group on FB I run on *reviewing working* - I ask people to think *analytically* rather than just putting up *ohh I love!..how nice!...Splendid!*...especially when people are coming into the group seeking help and guidance. All the superlatives under the sun won't help them correct how to coil something properly (the group is predominantly to do with wire -work) - but also if beading issues come up too.

    Really refreshing seeing other prominent artisans stepping up to the plate and saying things how they truly are...thank you again! ;) cheers Suzi..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suzi! You're totally right... There is opinion and there is evaluation and they are Not the same. "I like/don't like the designs" is an opinion. "The flow in the design is perfect." is an evaluation and much more helpful.

      Delete