Friday, April 19, 2013

Welcome to my blog!


I am new at this so I hope to get better as time goes by.  While I may not post daily, I am hoping to regularly post.  I started this blog because I love beads, beadwork, beading and especially Beaders!  It is remarkable and fun that this craft is enjoyed by so many people and there is so much sharing of ideas, opinions, and inspirations. This created a desire in me to jump into that pool... people who know me well know that I have no shortage of opinions!

I want to start by honoring all beaders.  Whether you create exclusively with beads or embellish other crafts with beads.... a Big Hello, fellow beader!  As a "seasoned" beader, I am interested in all types of beads, beadwork and information about beads.  I love the history of beads and eagerly read when I find articles about vintage, historic "finds" that include beads.  Ever since there have been people, there have been beads.  All cultures, diverse over periods of time and geography all have had beads. I find this remarkable and believe it speaks to something basic in our nature.  Almost all of those articles, books, etc talk about the beads themselves - the material used, the use of technologies available in that time, the bead shapes and how these all evolved.  What I want to emphatically point out to you is ....

if there was a bead
if there was beadwork
THEN THERE WAS A BEADER!  We are part of a legacy that is phenomenal! 

Give yourself a gracious bow or curtsy or gentle nod, you are a part of human history, I honor that.

I have sometimes heard people say "oh, I just string"..... Hey wait a minute...there is no "just" about it!  You are a beader like all of us and part of our wonderful community.  The act of creation is transforming, whether you are creating a strand or a massive woven/embroidered peice.  We all are creating and putting part of ourselves into it.  Of course what I love is jewelry so, in addition, I get to wear it or see others wear it.  Fun, satisfaction, economy, originality.....what could be better?

Beaders Rule!!!!

14 comments:

  1. Well said, Jamie! As a jeweler first, I came to embroidery the long way around. I started stringing, then wrapping beads. I learned how to solder, then form ans embellish metal, and last year, embroidery. Now my art uses a small piece of each of those skills. This year I learned different gemstone setting techniques (beside bezel) and look forward to setting stones in the metal that I mount my bead work on.
    I enjoy your books very much, for the inspiration as well as technical information they provide. I have several pages earmarked for different finishing and stitching techniques.
    I look forward to your blog posts, and have subscribed to insure I do not miss any.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love your path, I think it is wonderful all the different techniques and processes out there and, of course, where it leads you. Also, you might want to check out my website, www.studiojamie.com. I have a pdf you can open/print for free that is a referance of techniques. It shows the picture, name of the stitch, which book (Beading with Cabochons or Dimensional Bead Embroidery) and the page number for the instructions. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Best wishes, Jamie, on undertaking your blog! Your books have been a great assistance to me as a self-taught beader and I am (im)patiently awaiting the new one. Jeanne Evans

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oooohhhh the impatience is starting to get to me too!

      Delete
  3. Welcome to blogging, Jamie! I'm so glad you're joining us.

    Beading With Cabochons was the very first book on bead embroidery I ever read. I borrowed it from the library, renewed it as many times as I could, and then borrowed the second copy they had. After that, I knew I had to get my own -- it's just that good. :)

    -- Sarah of Saturday Sequins

    ReplyDelete
  4. How in the world you will find time to do a blog!!! I'm sure it will a fun and creative adventure as wonderful as the beautiful beadwork and books you've already undertaken. Really looking forward to following it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Creative energy ... it'got to go some where so why not beads? It's a wonderful addiction! Have fun blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jamie, I am blessed to have you right here in Modesto. Thank you for sharing your talent with the world! I'm looking forward to learning your mastered techniques as I embark on my beading journey. I aspire to put out pieces just like you!!






    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barb, I'm sure you are going to put out pieces that are just like YOU! (not me) and I'm honored to help you get there!

      Delete
  7. Welcome to blogging Jamie, love your books and am eagerly awaiting the next one. The first cabochon one is my standard "go to" filled with such variety of shapes and finishes I often place my cabochon on pics to see how different finishes will work with it

    ReplyDelete